Click here for merchandising baby!

Friday, January 18, 2013

3-2-1 Chapter Review for Slave: Escaping the Chains of Freedom





3-2-1 Chapter Review for Slave: Escaping the Chains of Freedom by Jacqueline Malcolm.

A freed slave goes against his principles and in turn becomes an owner of slaves.

Slave: Escaping the Chains of Freedom is the first novel masterpiece of my youngest sister, Jacqueline Malcolm. As I'm one of her first readers of early drafts, I've read this book around three or four times. Each time is a pleasure and keeps me on the edge of my seat. This is my 3-2-1 Chapter Review:

The Good – Hezekiah knows he is a slave, yet he does not see himself this way. He is Hezekiah, a husband, brother, son – a man.

The Good – The story telling is so natural, you don't even realise you're being educated about the slave trade and life in 18th Century New York.

The Good – Gloria is such a great character; a common enemy to them all, even her husband!

The Bad – When Hezekiah first meets Betty (his wife) he is carrying something very heavy, yet follows her quick retreat to find her home. My anal mind wondered how he kept up with her.

The Bad – Hezekiah gets covered in soot when cleaning the oven and complains of having to go and change again. As this was most likely a regular chore, wouldn't he have been prepared for this?

The Beautiful - ‘The old house is cold and I shiver at its command.’



No comments:

Post a Comment