Click here for merchandising baby!

Saturday, January 12, 2013

3-2-1 Chapter Review for Jane Eyre



3-2-1 Chapter Review for Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Tells the life story of the title character in first person narrative.

I first read Jane Eyre when I was fifteen. I started it one morning and read all through the day and night. Finishing it the next afternoon. It is still my all time favourite and I’ve given up watching either movies, TV or stage versions as none of them come close.  This is my 3-2-1 Chapter Review:

The Good - Very smooth introduction to the characters and their personalities.

The Good - Started off with a day that for all intents and purposes should have leaned on the side of boring (a child stuck indoors because of the rain) and ended with a physically violent, blood drawing altercation.

The Good - By the end of the third paragraph the reader’s feet are firmly planted in the young heroine’s corner.

The Bad - The language of the book being read by Jane Eyre ‘Bewick’s History of British Birds’ seems a tad poetic for a factual book on birds. However, since Jane Eyre was first published in 1847 perhaps this was the norm.

The Bad - The novel is narrated by Jane Eyre and at one point she describes in detail the response of her cousin John’s Head Master to her Aunt. It caused me to wonder how an ostracized ten year old would have known his comments.

The Beautiful - ‘I feared nothing but interruption, and that came too soon. The breakfast-room door opened.’

No comments:

Post a Comment